Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Soup Basics

Hello All,

Today I am starting simple - the basics!


I start out most of my soups without he following ingredients, onions, celery, peppers, and caned beans that I have thoroughly rinsed the sodium from. I will add in diced tomatoes and spices depending on where I am going with the soup. I start with olive oil in a large pot, put it on a low heat as I strait chopping away. I add in the onions, celery and pepper, increase the heat to medium and set the timer on for approximately 10 minutes. Then I will add my spices, let it marry for another 2 minutes, then the beans. While I am waiting for those 10 minutes to pass, I usually am preparing the final ingredients for the soup; usually a protein like chicken. 

When I am ready, I add the last of my ingredients, chicken, turkey sausage, etc., then I add the broth and let the soup cook for awhile.  If the protein is fully cooked when I add it, I just let it come to a boil and we eat in less than 10 minutes; if it is something like lentil soup, well that needs at least an hour to let the lentils cook and soften.

Well, stayed tuned for more tips, tricks and recipes.

Until next time
Eat Good For You!
Francine

1 comment: