Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shepard's Pie from South Beach

Hello All,
This was so easy, although a bit time consuming, it was definitely worth the effort. However, I can take NO credit for this dish; this was right out of the 'South Beach Supercharged Cookbook'. Just lean meat, edamame [soybeans], chopped onions, Worcestershire sauce, and topped with cauliflower [mixed with an egg yolk and sour cream] and shredded cheddar cheese. The only thing I do not do is add any salt until the cauliflower - and just a little bit. There is salt in the beef stock and in the cheese.


We had eaten beef a few times this week already. So, instead I replaced the lean beef with Turkey chopped meat and added a little extra Worcestershire Sauce. Although the cookbook doesn't mention draining the pan after the meat cooks, it really is a good idea. The beef broth and and the Worcestershire sauce can make this a little bit of a watery dish.

Your food should be a reflection of you - your palate - and of course, what your family enjoys eating. Keep that in mind the next time you question an ingredient and don't be afraid to put your own spin on things, I know I do all the time. So, if you are not a fan of edamame, you could always swap it out for cannellini beans. Sometimes, I will just omit an ingredient that I do not like. In this case, I think replacing the edamame is a good idea because of the substance it adds to the dish.

COOKING TIP: PYREX BAKING DISHES with COVERS
This was dinner twice for us ... the best idea - when you are cooking something like this, use a pyrex baking dish with a cover. I was able to pick up a 2-dish pyrex set with covers for about $20.00 in the regular market. I think that is one of the best buys I've made recently. I have seen a good buy for pyrex with covers in BJ's also. So simple, make it / bake it in the pyrex and then when it cools, just cover and refrigerated till next time. The seals are airtight. It really is a winning solution.

















P.S. - Did you catch the Dr. Oz show this week when the author of South Beach; Dr. Arthur Agatston, a world renown cardiologist, was one of his guests. He discussed the health benefits of consuming good fats - like avocados and nuts; good carbs like whole grains and sweet potatoes; and low sugars! It is amazing how many sugars are in the foods we eat.

Well, I hope you'll give it a try - and give your self a break with built-in leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos -- but I hate Shepherds pie. TJ loves it though, so I may give this one a try. Keep the good stuff coming!

    ReplyDelete